The club season dominates the fans attention for 10 months out of the year. Each season starts with the team looking to seal domestic glory with the league play in addition to cup action. Some teams are fortunate to have a change to also play for European glory.
There were simpler times when a team would use the same jersey for 2+ seasons but those are long gone for the most part with teams unveiling a new look(s) each season. This allows each campaign to be easily identified with the jersey the players wore and we look at the Top 5 selling club jerseys from 2014.
10. Paris Saint Germain continues to build a super team and their jersey ranks the highest for Ligue 1 sides. They have won the Ligue 1 title the last 2 seasons and have turned their focus to winning the UEFA Champions League. Zlatan Ibrahimović is one of the main reasons for the club’s recent success and why they sell so many jerseys.
9. Real Madrid is one of the top clubs in the world and we will run into them later on this list but coming in as the 9th best seller of the year was Los Merengues’s 3rd jersey. The black jersey will primarily be used in the UEFA Champions League and designed by world renowned fashion designer Yohji Yamamoto.
8. Manchester City won the 2013/14 Premier League title, their 2nd title in 3 years, so it is not so surprising that fans flocked to the light blue of their home jersey. The jersey is also a refreshing change for collectors with so many teams turning to red, blue, or white for their jersey. (Don’t believe us check out the colors of the other jerseys on this list).
7. Bayern Munich easily won the Bundesliga title and as Champions League holders had an added boost to jersey sales. And let’s face it with a large number of Bayern players suiting up for the German national team at the FIFA World Cup, it helped spur some summer sales of Bayern as Die Mannschaft put in a good showing in Brazil 2014…the won the thing!
6. Manchester United had a tough season in 2013/14 but the Red Devils have some of the most loyal fans in the world and with bright skies ahead they popped up just outside the top 5 on this list. The jersey sales list, however, is not what manager Louis van Gaal cares about and heading into 2015 his side is sitting in 3rd place and trying to work out the scenario that works them back to the top.
5. Arsenal Home Jersey – Arsenal ended their 9-year title drought when they won the FA Cup and qualified for an unprecedented 17th consecutive time for the UEFA Champions League. There is always some grumbling from supporters about Arsene Wenger’s managerial style (notably his hesitancy to buy players), the results are hard to argue with. Jersey sales were buoyed by their switch to Puma as the official apparel sponsor for the club.
4. Barcelona Home Jersey – With a line-up that includes Lionel Messi and Neymar, 2 of the top selling player jerseys, it is not hard to figure out how Barca rose to #4 on the list without having the trophy haul many fans have come to expect. It only helps that the jersey is a classic and with each new year comes a new chance to add to the silverware collection.
3. Chelsea Home Jersey – Fans were excited to see the return of Jose Mourinho at Didier Drogba to Stamford Bridge back in 2013 and the duo have the Blues feeling as though their run for titles is back. They started the 2014/15 campaign on a roll finding themselves perched at the top of the Premier League table with the only true challenger standing in their way Man City.
2. Liverpool Home Jersey – Liverpool was one of the most surprising teams of the 2013/14 Premier League campaign riding a high-scoring attack led by Luis Suarez to a 2nd place finish. The run back to the top 4 earned them a place in the Champions League and high hopes for 2014/15. The Reds have been forced to deal with injuries but will look to 2015 to continue to build on their success.
1. Real Madrid Home Jersey – La Decima! Real Madrid won an unprecedented 10th European Cup/UEFA Champions League title last season. The victory ended an 11-year wait to claim #10 and not so surprising fans were ready to pick up the jersey that helped the team pick up the Champions League trophy. It only helps (and 1 reason why Real Madrid is the only team with 2 jerseys in the Top 10) that they have a lineup that includes Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, and James Rodriguez (all of whom are included in the Top 10 Player Jersey list).
The best selection of club jerseys from around the globe are available at World Soccer Shop. And to make shopping easy you can ‘Shop by Club’