A player’s form can be the difference between a good year and great year. This applies to the clubs’ success on the field and the success of a player’s jersey off the field. Fans support their clubs but love their favorite players and we take a look at the most popular players with the fans from 2015 in our Top 15 Customized Soccer Jerseys list.
Customized soccer jersey are the latest fashion trend in soccer. 2015 saw more sales of official jerseys with a player’s name and number than in any previous year. The trend offers a great insight into who are fan favorites and which jerseys you should expect to see on your local field or at the local restaurant or bar.
Top 15 Custom Soccer Club Jerseys in 2015
15. Robert Lewandowski – It is somewhat surprising how low Robert Lewandowski is on this year’s list considering his 2015 accomplishments. He was awarded an astonishing 4 Guinness World Record certificates for his 5 goal haul over 8 minutes and 59 seconds in Bayern’s match against Wolfsburg. And while that day was record setting, other teams have not had any luck stopping the lethal striker.
14. Memphis Depay – The Dutch midfielder was Manchester United’s first major signing of the summer. He brought with him a creative flair on the field and was not bashful in showing off some limited editions of his new Under Armour Speedform cleats. Not to mention the Elvis-worthy lambchop sideburns he was growing out while on tour with the Red Devils in the U.S. over the summer.
13. Bastian Schweinsteiger – The German general wanted new battlefields and after winning everything for Bayern Munich opted to take the pitch at Old Trafford for Manchester United. The 31-year-old is proving that he still has good years left and his experience will be key in helping the Red Devils back to the top of England and Europe.
12. Philippe Coutinho – The Brazilian is the key to Liverpool’s creative attack and is able to knock home the spectacular goal as well making him a fan favorite at Anfield. He boosted his place among the Reds fans when he signed a long-term contract extension at the start of 2015 which gave fans another reason to pull on a jersey.
11. Luis Suarez – The first of Barcelona’s attacking trio that we will see on this year’s list, Luis Suarez, has not skipped a beat since joining the Catalan side from Liverpool in 2014. He always had one of the top selling jerseys while in England and his fans were loyal when he made the move to Spain. It would not be surprising to see his name even higher on the list next year.
10. Mesut Ozil – The German international is the key reason why Arsenal are at the top of the table after the holidays and slowly becoming many pundits title favorite. Ozil has 16 assists and is on pace to crush the previous assist record. As of January 7, 2016 he has twice as many assists as second place Kevin de Bruyne. Ozil and the club’s good form gives all Gooners a reason to get a jersey.
9. Wayne Rooney – Manchester United’s captain is the 4th player for the club to make this year’s list. The Red Devils were no doubt helped in their rankings (they are the only team with 4 players on this year’s list) with adidas taking over as the team’s technical sponsor after Nike 13 year run. And it only helped that the first offering from the 3-Stripes was a classic look. While Rooney’s goalscoring pace has slowed, he is starting to hit big ones surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton as England’s all-time leading scorer, moving into second all-time on the Manchester United scoring charts (11 behind Charlton), as well 2nd on the all-time Premier League scoring mark (behind Alan Shearer).
8. Harry Kane – Tottenham were a surprise team on this year’s Top 10 Selling Jerseys list and much of that has to do with the success of Harry Kane. The forward was a delight to watch over the second half of the 2014/15 campaign and is not letting fans down this season. If the London club is to make a 4th place or better finish and earn a coveted spot in the UEFA Champions League much of the burden will rest on Kane.
7. Steven Gerrard – The biggest surprise while compiling this year’s list was how high Gerrard finished but after some thought it should not have been such a shock. Stevie G finished out his Liverpool career in 2014/15 and then made a much hyped move to Major League Soccer and the Los Angeles Galaxy. More than any other player, Gerrard benefited from having his name customized on 1 of the most popular jerseys in 2 different leagues.
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic – The king of self-promotion…it takes very little effort for these jerseys to fly off the shelf. PSG is the dominant team in France’s Ligue 1 and are challenging and have a realistic chance to win the UEFA Champions League. And it does not hurt that Paris Saint Germain is one of the trendiest jerseys in all of soccer and to some extent fashion.
5. Alexis Sanchez – Arsenal or maybe more accurately Arsene Wenger is well-known for being frugal when it comes to transfers so Gunners fans were ecstatic when the French manager signed Alexis Sanchez ahead of the 2014/15 Premier League campaign. The Chilean winger went on to prove his worth and was the key to Arsenal’s 3rd place finish on the season and earning a record 18th consecutive appearance in the UEFA Champions League knockout phase.
4. Eden Hazard – Chelsea has admittedly struggled this season but they Blues won the 2014/15 title in style and Eden Hazard was one of the keys to the team’s success. The midfielder was named the PFA Player of the Year as well as the Chelsea Player of the Year for his efforts. With rumors that he has suitors looking for his signature (most notably Real Madrid and PSG) don’t be surprised if he is on the list again next year.
3. Neymar Jr – The 2nd player in Barca’s 3-prong attack on the list, Neymar finally settled in to his role and is playing well in an all-star attack. But more than any other player of the trio, the 23-year-old tended to score critical goals on the way to their 2015 trophy haul. And it certainly helps his Barca sales that Neymar is the face of the Brazilian national team as well.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo – Pure class with pace and a scoring touch second to none and an icon both on the field and off the field. Ronaldo’s Real Madrid may have had a down year last season but nothing can stop the Ronaldo. He started off the year off fast winning the 2014 Ballon d’Or for the second consecutive time and is a fan favorite at the Santiago Bernabeu. He is a finalists for the 2015 Ballon d’Or.
1. Lionel Messi – The best player in the world? Maybe but rather than argue about who the best player is, we can say there is no doubt on the best-selling customized jersey in 2015. The focus on a team that includes other superstars Neymar Jr and Suarez and the man that makes the team fire on all cylinders. He helped the team to a huge trophy haul winning the La Liga title, Copa del Rey, UEFA Champions League, European Super Cup, and FIFA Club World Cup. Messi is a finalists for the 2015 Ballon d’Or with the Argentine rumored to be the winner.
The best selection of official customized soccer player jerseys are available at World Soccer Shop. Is your favorite player not on our list? Help them make the list next year and Shop By Player and get a customized jersey.