‘Should Old Acquaintance be forgot…’
As we say farewell to another year, we take a moment to look back and remember the Top 10 selling club jerseys of 2015. These jerseys made the list due to the commitment of their fans to show their passion for their club and a reflection of their aspirations for the coming season. They were spurred on by fine form on the field, a new technical sponsor offering a first new look, and classic AND revolutionary looks.
But fortunately the turning of a calendar page does not end the memory of these jerseys as they will still be worn on the field until the end of the 2015/16 campaign so many more stories lie ahead with every jersey on this list and those jerseys that did not make the list.
Top 10 Selling Club Jerseys
10. Tottenham 15/16 Home Jersey – Tottenham and Under Armour became the first British club to work with a social media site, facebook, to unveil their 2015/16 home jersey and it immediately started a buzz to help kick off sales. Spurs debuted the jersey in their final match of 2014/15 as they defeated Everton on the way to a 5th place finish. The white jersey features a diagonal sash made up of 6 navy stripes of varying widths. Tottenham narrowly missed out on last year’s top seller list.
9. PSG 15/16 Home Jersey – Paris Saint Germain is becoming one of the most popular club teams in the world. Ligue 1’s dominant side has the glitz and glamour of the French capital as well the haute couture of the team’s home jersey as would be expected in any design from Paris. The PSG 2015/16 home jersey uses 2-tones of blue along with the red and white club colors. The circular team badge with a modern looking Eiffel Tower at the center complete the look. PSG is up 1 spot from the Top 10 Club Jerseys of 2014.
8. Real Madrid 15/16 Home Jersey – Real Madrid topped the 2014 Top Selling Jersey list which was not so surprising with Los Merengues winning a record 10th UEFA Champions League title, called La Decima, the Copa del Rey, and Club World Cup. But despite an ‘off’ year in 2015, Real Madrid still features in the Top 10 this year due to their classic looking jersey. The white jersey features the adidas 3-Stripes in metallic silver in tribute to the silverware won in the past and looking forward to trophies to come in the future. Real Madrid had 2 jerseys on last years list with their 3rd jersey coming in at #9 and their home jersey at #1.
7. Chelsea 15/16 Home Jersey – The Blues returned to glory winning the 2014/15 Premier League title that built huge momentum as Chelsea fans around the world pulled on the colors. The London club unveiled a classic blue jersey for the campaign and received some added buzz when false rumors in regards to the Yokohama Tyres front of the jersey sponsor logo made the rounds on social media. The return of Jose Mourinho and Didier Drogba pushed last year’s Chelsea jersey to the #3 spot.
6. Liverpool 15/16 Home Jersey – Liverpool made a big statement when unveiling their first offering from new technical sponsor New Balance in April. The #HoldNothingBack campaign was a hit with fans with a checkerboard jacquard on the jersey and v-neck insert. It combined a good balance of classic with modern. A #2 finish to the Premier League 2013/14 saw last season’s Liverpool home jersey finish at #2.
5. Manchester United 15/16 Third Jersey – Black is the hottest look in soccer and Manchester United had the best take of the colorway for their third/Cup jersey. It is no surprise that the Red Devils are the only team to have 2 jerseys in this year’s Top 10 list. The black combines perfectly with the red on the team badge, adidas logo, 3-Stripes and sleeve cuffs and the gold in the Chevrolet front of the jersey logo. Fans grabbed it up with the team returning the Champions League play. The jersey was so striking it earned the right from a fan vote to be on the World Soccer Shop Holiday 2015 cover. Manchester United’s 3rd jersey from last season did not make the Top 10 Club Jerseys of 2014 list.
4. Bayern Munich 15/16 Home Jersey – Bayern Munich have re-established themselves as the team to beat in the Bundesliga with 3 consecutive titles and a 4th all but mathematically assured this season. Pep Guardiola has built a side that is attack minded and enjoyable to watch which has fan enthusiastically buying the jersey. adidas provided added incentives for fans to get a jersey with a cool looking 2-tone red jersey and great hem detail around the waist that includes diamond pattern inspired by the club logo. The jersey popularity has no doubt been helped with the Bundesliga airing on Fox Sports in the U.S. A distinct look saw Bayern Munich’s jersey finish at #7 on the Top 10 Club Jerseys of 2014 list.
3. Arsenal 15/16 Home Jersey – Arsenal unveiled their home jersey in grand style outside of Emirates Stadium in North London and the classic Gunners jersey with red body and white sleeves was an instant hit. The sales have continued to soar with Arsene Wenger’s side considered a strong contender to win the Premier League title. A successful run to the title would end their 11 year Premier League title drought and no doubt spur on even more jersey sales. Arsenal’s home jersey finished at #5 last year.
2. Manchester United 15/16 Home Jersey – The most anticipated jersey release last spring was for Manchester United’s home jersey. The hype was largely due to the Red Devils’ move back to adidas after last pulling on the 3-Stripes in 1992. The first offering from adidas was well received by the fans and stayed true to tradition with a red jersey with white detailing. The generated some more buzz with a controversy over a low-cut women’s version of the jersey. Fans saw this as a sign of a new era of success demonstrated by Manchester United being the only club with 2 jerseys on this year’s Top 10 list. The Red Devils jersey from last season finished at #6.
1. Barcelona 15/16 Home Jersey – Winning the UEFA Champions League is one sure way to help promote jersey sales but Barcelona went one step further with a historic jersey design for 2015/16. For the first time in the club’s history, horizontal stripes replaced the traditional vertical stripes. The new design has been just as successful as the team in 2015. Barcelona’s jersey finished at #4 in 2014.
The Top 10 Selling Club Jerseys of 2015 included 9 of the 10 teams from the Top 10 Selling Club Jerseys of 2014 list. Tottenham was the only club to play (sell) their way into the Top 10 at the expense of Manchester City. After holding the top spot in 2014 and having 2 jerseys in the top 10, Real Madrid had a big drop to #8 on this year’s list. Check out how the jerseys compare to last year’s list.
I’m surprised that the PSG 3rd Jersey didn’t make the list.
Surprised to see Madrid as 8th
Nice to see Bayern moving up in the list.
not surprising at all to see 6 of the top 10 are teams from England. the power of a great tv deal.
Surprised to see my beloved Arsenal in top 3. If we push on and win the title this season no doubt we will finish even higher on your 2016 list. Shoutout to Adidas as well the Man United and Real Madrid kits are sick!
I would love the gift card because I really want new cleats for the new season with my team.
Love the barça one! Have kept up with getting jerseys every season.
I love the Barca kit. Even with the FIFA badge makes it even more sick!
There was no doubt that Barca would be first. But I’m surprised my gunners are holding it at 3rd place. #Arsenal
Spurs beat out City! #COYS
I want the $50 gift card! ?
The barca one is just to nice
Need to pick up an Arsenal shirt m8
The arsenal Jersey is class
Barca wins yet again this year
Arsenal’s is the nicest
The Liverpool jersey is gorgeous!
I need that liverpool home jersey! x100000