The excitement surrounding new jersey releases was especially high last year. The added attention was due to the new looks being unveiled for many national teams headed to Brazil last summer for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
The brands, most notably adidas, Nike, and Puma, helped fuel the excitement by keeping tight wraps on their soon to be unveiled jerseys.
But the true test of how cool a jersey is comes down to how many people buy the jersey and we take a look at the Top 10 Selling National team Jerseys for 2014. The best part about checking out these jerseys now is that most of them (that still have some stock remaining) have been discounted and are now on SALE.
Top 10 National Team Jerseys of 2014
10. Portugal Home Jersey – Portugal has a distinct home look with the dark/burnt red color. This sets it apart from so many other countries in Europe and around the world that have a more true red color. But let’s face it this jersey is a top seller larger for the #7 player, Cristiano Ronaldo. The forward single-handily got the Selecção to the World Cup and made sure jersey sales were brisk.
9. Colombia Home Jersey – South America (and African sides for that matter) have a huge advantage when it comes to distinct jerseys as most of their national flags and so international soccer jerseys feature bright and bold colors. Colombia is one of those teams. Their bright yellow jersey with diagonal dark blue stripes really stood out on the field in Brazil. It was a huge boost for the jersey that this was the first time since 1998 that Los Cafeteros qualified for the World Cup, that the 2014 FIFA World Cup Golden Boot winner, James Rodriguez, played spectacularly, helping the team to their best finish ever at a World Cup with a run to the quarterfinals (they were unlucky not to go further). Unfortunately this jersey is SOLD OUT.
8. Italy Home Jersey – Italy is one of those classic sides in regards to their play and their style. The blue of the Azzurri is always a top seller and this was no different in 2014. Italy was one of the first sides to go with a more body fitting jersey and this year’s jersey featured some cool detailing, most notably the button down collar and Italian flag detailing on the sleeve, to help make it a fan favorite.
7. Mexico Home Jersey – This is a rare jersey in that it went from being one of the most hated and laughed at jerseys to one of the most popular in a matter of weeks. When adidas first released the jersey, El Tri Colores were on the brink of missing out on World Cup but once in Brazil the traditional green of Mexico was a feared look playing some attractive soccer while advancing to the Round of 16 and somewhat controversially being eliminated by the Netherlands.
6. Brazil Home Jersey – With 5 World Cup titles to their name it is impossible not to know the style of Brazil. The beautiful game on the field is played in a simple and understated solid yellow jersey with green detailing. This year’s home jersey featured a unique green ‘Y’ neckline making it stand out from recent ones. And the beauty of the Brazil jersey is that you don’t have to necessarily be a fan of the team to wear it. It simple says you love the beautiful game.
5. Argentina Home Jersey – Arguably the most recognizable vertical stripped national team jersey in the game, Argentina has a cool look. The Sky Blue and White jersey is simple yet complicated. It is hard to think of the jersey without imagining Diego Maradona (tight shorts and all) donning it for La Albiceleste. The side has a new #10 in Lionel Messi who is working to make his own indelible memories in the jersey.
4. Germany Away Jersey – For the first time in team history, Germany had a red and black horizontal stripped jersey. And the last time they wore a predominantly red jersey was back in 2008 so this jersey was something special for the fans and jersey collectors. It no doubt helped sales of this jersey that Die Mannschaft wore it when they played the USA in the group stage in Brazil. But there was more to come from Germany.
3. USA Home Jersey – The USA showed well advancing from what many analysts called the ‘Group of Death’ at the World Cup. With a continually growing passion for the sport and appreciation of supporting the national team, the Stars and Stripes jersey was a must for any and every fan going to watch one of the games at one of the viewing parties. The classic white jersey is impossible to go wrong with and this one lived up to expectations. But there was more to come from the USA.
2. Germany Home Jersey – Germany marched all the way to the 2014 World Cup final and defeated Argentina 1-0 to claim their 4th World Cup title. Joachim Low’s side was fortunate to have the choice of whether to wear their home jersey in the final as the team wearing the away jersey in this match-up has not fared well over the years. The classic white jersey with multiple shades of red chevron had a somewhat similar look to the jersey the team wore in 1990, the last time they won a World Cup, and sold more than 3 million globally although the 4th star helped spur on sales.
1. USA Away Jersey – The USA Away jersey made an immediate impression! Some fans loved it, some folks hated it when the first caught a glimpse but when it was all said it done it was the move loved and best selling jersey of 2014. Was it the throwback ‘Bomb Pop’ name that made it a hit? Or the fact that it probably looked better on the players on the field than on the display models? It does not really matter as the jersey will probably be considered one of the best USA jerseys of all-time.
What did you think were some of the best looks of 2014? Send us your suggestions and if you have a jersey you bought and loved send an image of you wearing it.
The best selection of officially licensed soccer jerseys in the U.S. is available at World Soccer Shop.